Friday, December 19, 2008

Crazy Busy, Friday Question and Contest

I have been crazy busy the last 32 hours or so. We've had a major snow storm blow across the Pacific Northwest this week. Yesterday it was an incredibly chaotic day. I'm sure I've mentioned before that my parents own a tow company. The dispatchers for both the morning and swing shift couldn't make it in so that meant I was here from 6:30am until 8pm and the phone seriously did not stop with people calling that they were stuck in the snow or wanted to be towed up a hill to their house. We did the best we could with all the trucks chained up, but still had to decline doing many tows. As I look out the window there are flurries coming down again. Swell.

At the moment, my dad and Andrew are downtown with our truck meeting another company's driver to do this: (photo from seattletimes.com)



If you're not familiar with Seattle, we have many steep hills, especially downtown. What you can't see in this particular picture is that on the other side of this bus there is another one that isn't hanging over quite as much. The first one came down the hill, covered in ice of course that they had no business being on in the first place, went through the guard rail followed by the second one who tried to turn to miss it but ended up smacking it anyways. I wish I could have gone with them to be the photographer, but I had to wait for the next dispatcher to get here. Bummer. Luckily everyone on board both buses were alright and only 9 were taken to the hospital for minor injuries.

We're watching the news (they have a helicopter overhead and are going back and forth to it) waiting for the recovering to start. It will be interesting to know where they're going to pull from as they're backed right up to a hill, but I know if anyone can make it happen my dad can. He is incredible with recoveries. And I know Andrew is having a great time watching, learning and just being there. Good thing his usual white collar, pressed shirt office was closed today! Yes, I do give him a hard time about working in a CPA office when I've been with blus collar workers all my life. I'm a bad girlfriend, I know.

*************

Alright, moving on, it's Friday again and Christmas is just 6 (eek, 6!) days away. If money didn't need to be taken into consideration, and let's face it: I think money is being considered by anyone who's out and about buying gifts, what is the first thing you would like. And yes, I'm talking a material item, think of yourself, what's the one thing you'd want but know isn't an option this year?

For me, that would be a Nikon camera. One of the fancy ones with the big lens and all that. No, I'm not the best photographer, but I love to take pictures and would really like to learn some great techniques someday and I think that if I had a good camera (yes, my current camera is good, but I just have it in my mind that a Nikon would make my pictures better...ridiculous, I know) that I would take really great shots. So what about you?

*************

Lastly, I'm closing in on my 100th post here pretty quick, well it'll take a few days, but it is coming, and I'd like to have a contest which will feature a prize. Many of the blogs I read ask readers to ask a question the comments for the blogger to answer and I think that's kind of neat.

So, this is where you all come in. Do you have a question? Even if you don't, just make one up and leave it in the comments. I'll pick a name out of everyone who commented (that is if anyone does...I'm pretty sure I don't have many readers, but I still think it'll be fun and something I'm going to do for every hundredth post) and that person will get a prize. I'm not sure what yet, but don't worry, it'll be something good!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment