Monday, May 4, 2009

Our Night on the Town



So my school put in this cruise around Elliot Bay here in Seattle last Thursday and Andrew and I decided to go. We had our whole little plan, because I like plans, laid out that we'd get there early and have dinner at Red Robin since it was at the same Pier. We finally found a parking spot, had cheeseburgers with a fried egg on top (it sounds gross, but my gosh is it delicious) and waited a few minutes to be able to board the boat.
The bus that was bringing everyone up from campus was late so we walked around on the boat and look a few pictures for a little while. Right next to this Pier is a pretty busy ferry terminal and as you can imagine when a ferry comes in or out is creates a good size wake which in turn causes our boat to rock, rock, rock. And not in a good sense. After about 10 minutes of that on top of a cheeseburger my stomach was churning and I really didn't think I would be able to make it on the 3 hour cruise (is anyone else thinking of Gilligan?) without getting sick. We got off and walked down to the next Pier right as the buses were pulling up.
So, instead of sitting on the boat for 3 hours we walked around the Piers, got some ice cream and of course I took some photos. I was kicking myself the entire time for not bringing my good camera because I hadn't wanted to pack it around all evening and really, how many pictures can you take when you're confined on a boat? Keep in mind it didn't actually take off until it was just about dark.
As you can see from the photos we had a lot of fun. More really, than I think we would have on the cruise. We watched it pull away and there were a ton of people on board accompanied with loud music. Not either of our things. I've actually taken the hint from Sarah and Rachel that hey, pictures look better when they're edited a bit so I played around with some of these to get a different look.
The first one is the only one I liked from the boat. The wind was blowing just right and I loved how it looked especially using a bit of antiquing. The majority of the others are from walking around the Piers. You'll notice the one of a bunch of buildings though. Where the arrow is pointed is where Andrew decided we should move when we're 65 or so. It would have a spectacular view. And then there's the Space Needle. That was taken with my hand out the window going down the freeway at 60 so I don't think it turned out to bad. I did a couple things with it to make it look older which I kind of like.
We realized as we were walking around how little of the city we take advantage of. We really do live in a stunning place and we rarely take time to appreciate it. Neither of us have been to the Seattle Aquarium in years and walked right past it on the walk to the boat. It is an amazing place and we are going to go sometime soon. There is so much to see and do just on a little 5 block stretch of waterfront it's insane. Our next step is to actually put it to use!
Also, as a side note, there's a new post on my photography blog. And, another side note, today in about an hour and a half is my most difficuly final. I am pretty sure I have it all under control and am feeling confident about it, but I am sure I could use any extra luck anyone has to send this way!

1 comment: